Streets:
  1. [[]]
Loading map...
The shipyard building c.1880s, next to the ruins of the Whaling Company building. Photo from The History of Fremantle, p.148.
Bathers Bay c.1890. Fremantle Library photo #2034A by Stephen Stout.

Mews Shipyard was a shipyard in Bathers Bay, at the bottom of the cliff of Manjaree (Arthur Head). It was established by Thomas William Mews some time between 1840 and 1860, and the business was carried on by his son, Thomas William Mews jnr.


Caption: The second lighthouse (1876/1878-1905) built on [[../arthurhead/index.html|Arthur Head]] is to the right. Below is the TW Mews shipyard in Bathers Bay, established between 1840 and 1860. Next to the right is the abandoned building of the Fremantle Whaling Company, demolished in the 1890s.

Photo reproduced in Hitchcock's 1929 [[../hitchcock.html|History]], page 148. His caption describes the scene as 'old lighthouse and shipyard, about 1865'. The building on the left is, as the sign says, [[../people/mewsthomas.html|Thomas Mews]]' premises. The right-hand building, demolished in the 1890s, is the ruin of the Fremantle Whaling Company (est. 1837) building. Hitchcock's 'old lighthouse' is ambiguous - as that is actually the second lighthouse built there in 1879, so his date is misleading, and should probably be 1880s. However, the remains of the 1851 lighthouse can be seen just to the left of the newer one.

References

Freotopia

This page incorporates material from Garry Gillard's Freotopia website, that he started in 2014 and the contents of which he donated to Wikimedia Australia in 2024. The content was originally created on 6 May, 2016 and hosted at freotopia.org/buildings/mewsshipyard.html (it was last updated on 3 April, 2024), and has been edited since it was imported here (see page history). The donated data is also preserved in the Internet Archive's collection.